BURN WITH CONFIDENCE
Comprehensive testing services for candles and candle products
As candles have grown in popularity, so has public awareness of the health and safety issues associated with them, such as the potential for candle fires and concern about lead in metal-cored candle wicks. According to the National Candle Association, nearly 10,000 residential fires are caused each year by the careless or inappropriate use of candles. While the number of candle-related fires has been on the decrease, there are still far too many, and this has captured the attention of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission and Health Canada.
Despite these concerns, candles remain in demand – but today’s consumer is more selective and safety-conscious. In this environment, testing has become an increasingly important tool for retailers and manufacturers to minimize risk and ensure that their candle products meet the quality and performance expectations of today’s consumer.
Bureau Veritas is a leader in candle testing services, with experienced and dedicated technical professionals. Our clients receive the most up-to-date and comprehensive services thanks to our technical professionals who actively participate in ASTM Task Groups for candles and candle-related products.
What are the key benefits?
- Verify compliance with worldwide regulations and industry standards
- Minimize the risk of recalls, returns and complaints
- Enhance risk management and brand protection J Help increase product sales
Bureau Veritas offers comprehensive testing services for candles and candle products. We are committed to partnering with you to meet your needs and provide high quality services that exceed your expectations. Our technical and administrative staff are ready to interpret results and assist you in the management of your testing and consulting programs. Our candle testing services include:
Candle Burn Testing – typically 4 hour burn cycles
- Flame Height
- Secondary Ignition
- End of Useful Life
- Plastic Container Flammability (Including Tealight Cups)
- Soot Measurement
- Burn Time Comparison
- Excessive Smoke/Flaring
- Flame Re-ignition
- Chemical Analysis (Wax, Wick, Coatings)
- Gel Candles (Flash Point, Polarity)
- Candle Fragrance (Flash Point)
- Citronella Content
Candle Holder & Accessory Testing
- Glassware Annealing and Thermal Shock
- Inclined Flame Impingement
- Maximum External Surface Temperature
- Fire Safety Warnings
- Fair Packaging and Labeling Act
- Country of Origin Marking
- EPA Registration/Exemption for Pesticide Candles
- Consumer Packaging and Labeling Regulation J
- Use and Care Instructions