Toy Product Safety
Testing and Compliance
Toy product safety and quality are fundamental concerns for consumers, particularly for parents, who buy toys and other products related to children. However, the toys and juvenile products landscape is evolving every day and changing fast.
Challenges for Toy Industry
• Safety and regulatory requirements (e.g. REACH, CPSIA) continue to evolve in both emerging and mature markets, especially around hazardous chemicals
• Warning labels and packaging compliance for selling in different countries and online marketplaces (e.g. Amazon)
• The online retail sales channel for children’s toys is growing rapidly
• Video games and apps on smartphones and tablets continue to gain share
• Connected toys are increasingly dominant in the physical toy/juvenile product space
• Suppliers need to understand wireless and Bluetooth technologies and sell to more countries across more channels to stay competitive
• Disruptive technologies such as 3D Printing are evolving bringing about additional responsibilities
YOUR TOY PRODUCT COMPLIANCE JOURNEY
Verify compliance with worldwide toy regulations and industry standards
Minimize the risk of recalls, returns and complaints
Enhance risk management and brand protection
Help increase product sales
Classic Toy Testing
Performance and chemical testing is an important part of classic toy product development. It provides valuable insights into the safety and durability of a toy, which can help to minimize the risk of product recalls, returns, and complaints.
Toy safety testing is an integral part of regulatory compliance and industry standards, and it is constantly changing. Toy manufacturers have the duty to warn users of the dangers inherent in their products and held liable for injuries and fatalities resulting from defective design and manufacturing defects.
As many countries have established their own consumer safety regulations, toy importers need to ensure that their products meet all relevant requirements.
And, here are some of the Toy safety standards and regulations for selling in the United States, Europe, United Kingdom, China, and other markets:
• CPSIA Testing (Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act)
• CPSC Regulatory Testing
• ASTM F963 Toys Testing Standard
• New EU Toys Safety Directive Compliance Test
• EC Type Examination
• GB Toys Testing Standard
• GCC Product Certification
• GSO Conformity Tracking
• KC Mark Certification
• Australian Toys Testing Standard AS/NZS ISO 8124
Wireless Toy TESTING
The integration of wireless technology with toys particularly brings about a whole new range of challenges for both the toy industry integrating technology and the technology industry moving into toys:
• How to effectively integrate technology?
• Which technology will bring about the best performance?
• How to demonstrate toy safety or wireless conformance compliance?
• How to verify information security?
• How to understand and comply with current and future toy safety regulations?
In order to comply with the dynamic international industry and regulatory requirements and quickly access the global market, the manufacturer needs to partner with a strong electronical and electrical product specialist with in-depth knowledge of the latest market access requirements and wireless technologies such as Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi in the product development.
HOW CAN BV's TOY TESTING SERVICES HELP?
Bureau Veritas CPS's toy testing services are designed to assist manufacturers, retailers, and importers in minimizing the risk of late shipment, liability, costly product returns, and recalls. We offer full both safety and performance testing capabilities for the following toy types:
• Classic Toys
• Connected / Electrical Toys
• Juvenile Products
• Children’s Jewelry
• Children’s Cosmetics
Electrical & Electronics Testing / Certification
• Electrical Safety
Wireless Conformance Testing / Certification
• Age Grade Evaluation
Our global specialists have in-depth knowledge of the latest market access requirements and wireless technologies such as Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi. We have decades of experience in advising on the best solution for your challenging business environment to meet critical regulatory requirements, such as toy safety and chemical testing, physical testing, Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) testing and wireless testing; all available throughout our worldwide network. We offer end-to-end support for product development from policy and specification development to training to supplier/product risk assessments to testing as well as supporting services such as inspection, audit, and certification.
WITH A WORLDWIDE NETWORK